No, I am not chronologically challenged. Challenged in many other ways, as several of you might attest, but not as it relates to dates. I’m actually one of those guys who remembers my wife’s birthday and our anniversary. Right honey? Right?!
So no, I am not confused as to what holiday is coming up. I know it is not Halloween although the picture to the left might give you pause. Actually that is me and my two older brothers, getting ready to roam the neighborhood in circa 1977. I’m the artificially tall one in the back right.
But why am I referring to a time-frame from 6 weeks ago? Well, it truly is getting scary.
Uh, what the hell does that mean Craig?
Physically I am feeling great. About as good as I have felt since this whole journey began 21 months ago. And that is a little scary because I know that at any moment the other shoe could drop and I’d be singing a whole different tune. OK, I am challenged in singing so you won’t hear that from me. But I have been extraordinarily lucky. Initially Tarceva took care of business and knocked the fuzzies on their butts. Hmm, I know from my last post they had wings, but butts? Interesting visual. Then a short break before I was once again fortunate enough to qualify for a drug trial right in my backyard. As much as I avoid statistics, a back-of-the-envelope number crunching says I had about a 7.5% chance of being in the situation I am in once I was diagnosed. That means a 92.5% chance I would not be where I am. Fortunate indeed.
If you’ve read my blog all along, this theme will seem highly similar to my “guilty as charged” post back in February. And it is. But when you are on a momentary high, you sometimes gotta shout out, even if it seems a bit redundant. I seriously hesitated writing this post since, as before, I am very cognizant of the fact that there are many blog buddies, and most likely some of you, that are going through some tough times. I certainly don’t want to seem like I am insensitive to the challenges everyone else might be facing. And I could be in those shoes in 6 months. Who knows? But you are going to be privy to my highs and lows if you stick with me and right now I am certainly on the upward swing.
Oops, gotta break for a Lovey shot……………………………….OK, back.
Uh Craig, did you forget about that little fuzzy that popped up in the noggin as shown in the last two scans? Nah. I suppose it should have me worried but for some reason I think it will prove out to be nothing. My next double-your-pleasure scan on the 26th will perhaps shed some light on that issue. My radio-doc is assuming it will be something that needs to get zapped and wants me to come in shortly after the scan to get CT-mapped so that the zapper knows exactly where to aim its blaster. Yet, if nothing has progressed (I hate the use of that word), there is no way I am donning that cage mask to zap something that may not need zapping. Stay tuned.
Another reason I might be a bit on the upswing is that this past week I have finally returned to daily workouts at the gym. OK, I lied. I only went 4 days. And “returned” is a huge stretch since I never really was consistent in my sweaty endeavors and it has been 2 years since I really worked out with any regularity. But near the end of this past week I was really feeling healthy. I know healthy has a new definition but I’ll take my new version and run with it. Now I will need all of you to lay on the peer pressure to keep me going. So easy to skip a day. Then another. And before you know it, it’s beer and pita chips while sitting on my recliner. Ooh, that is sounding pretty damn good.
I also got the green light to resume my weekly drinking, er, softball games after the first of the year. I haven’t thrown a ball or even jogged in several months so this shall be interesting. Just have to avoid getting nailed in the noggin or colliding with anything larger than a can of beer.
In other good news, my buddy Dann from Portland, who has been traipsing to San Diego every couple of weeks as a participant in the same trial I’m in, just got the results of his first scan after he started quaffing AZD9291. Quote: “Massive Shrinkage!” Now, if you were a porn star, that phrase would not engender positive thoughts and you could be out of a job. But in our business, those two words are music to our ears. Congrats to Dann. We went out for a pre-celebratory dinner the night before he got his results, and we were so sure of the outcome, we popped a bottle of, you guessed it, Rombauer. Glad to find out the celebration was not wasted. 🙂
Had a Chinese dinner recently and, since I am aiming to please my onc-doc by maintaining my weight, powered down two fortune cookies. Couldn’t complain with the outcomes.
And we broke in our newly re-tiled living room floor with 18 people for Thanksgiving. Even my son was able to get away from his cheffing duties at his restaurant to make it just in time. Had to carve the turkey myself for the first time in many years. Just like riding a bike. Yeah, a bike with bent a bent rim and two flat tires. But it still tasted OK.
Next set of scans on the day after Christmas. I think I’ll be getting a late Christmas present.
Business as usual. Day at a time.