I was recently nominated for a “Lovely Blog Award” by a fellow blogger, somekernelsoftruth. Thank you!
I wasn’t quite sure what to make of it as I had never heard of this award. Initially it looked like one of those chain blogs where you feel obligated to forward on to 15 friends and so on. Kinda the Amway methodology. Apologies to any of you selling Amway. It’s sorta like the ice bucket challenge yet with no obligation or pressure to donate dollars to anything or risk pneumonia.
But the more I looked into it, the more I realized that it was more of just a method of acknowledging fellow bloggers who you read and respect and to share those links so others who read your blog can expand their horizons. I feel little risk of losing my readership as I know you will still like my blog best, right? Uh, I said right. This is where you jump in and say RIGHT!
OK, now I heard you.
There are a few simple rules to follow to accept this nomination:
- Thank the person who nominated you for the award.
- Add the One Lovely Blog logo to your post.
- Share 7 facts/or things about yourself.
- Nominate 15 bloggers you admire and inform nominees by commenting on their blog.
OK, #1 and 2 are done. That was the easy part. As for 7 facts, preferably things you may not know, that is a bit more difficult. Since I have been a very open book for the past 20 months, I’m not sure there is anything you don’t already know, but here goes:
- I actually did try my hand at Amway about 20 years ago. I was totally fed up with my job at the time and considered anything that would get me out of that place. However, I stunk and just could not get into the program and bailed pretty quickly. Most do. But I consider everything a memory, good or bad.
- I drove a Coca Cola delivery truck right after graduating with my BA in Economics from UCSB. Didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life so I decided to just take it easy for a while and just make some money. My mom was not a happy camper though. 😦
- Those of you that have read my entire blog will recognize this but I moved to Utah about a year after graduating college and lived with three girls in a 4-bedroom apartment. BTW, and perhaps hard to believe, but girls are more lewd and crude than guys. Oh yeah…
- My family was on Family Feud back in 1979 and we actually did very well winning over $13K (big bucks back then) and playing for 4 days. You can catch a sample of one of the episodes here.
- I carried a picture of my wife around in my pocket a year before we ever met. How can that be you ask? My wife and I are both skiers. At least I used to be. 😦 But skiing back in 1977 up at Alta, Utah, I, of course, carried a trail map around in my pocket. Well, my wife had lived at that ski resort the year before and had posed for one of the pictures that was used in the ski guide. Imagine someone coming up to me and pointing out her picture in the trail map and saying “you are going to marry that girl.” Would have been very freaky. Cue Twilight Zone music.
- I have 3 brothers and a sister. Back when I was in 8th or 9th grade, there was a time when all 5 of us had something broken or torn in our bodies at the same time. Sometimes hard to believe our parents survived it all. In fact the HS school newspaper did a little story on our multiple-casted family. Not that we were all klutzes or anything, just active. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
- Every Christmas, at our holiday Rotary luncheon, I dress up like an elf and help entertain about 400 people, most of which are the movers and shakers in San Diego. Don’t ask me how I have the blanks to do that. I really don’t know. But it has now become tradition and people would be disappointed if I didn’t show up that way.
As for the 15 bloggers I am nominating, that is tough as well since before starting to blog myself, I rarely read blogs. And now most of the ones I read are from, or about, cancer survivors. But each is very inspirational in their own way. So I nominate the following bloggers. Please do not feel obligated to accept the nomination as again, I’m not doing this to put pressure on anyone. But I’m a rule follower by nature so here goes.
- http://dannscancerchronicles.blogspot.com/ (you’ll recognize Dann from my recent blogs)
- http://makemomentum.com/blog/ (a fellow Rotarian who hits home with every post)
I have no idea which of these blogs may have already been nominated for this award. Check them out. They won’t bite. But you may just get some nuggets, or perhaps even somekernelsoftruth out of them. 🙂
Day at a time. Business as usual.