Apologies in advance as I am writing this blog on my iPad here in a Chicago hotel room. The ap is not nearly as friendly as doing this on a desktop so I won’t be including many images. Unless I can figure that out.
So I was sitting on the runway (Ok, I was in a plane ON the runway) today ready to debark here at O’Hare airport in Chicago. Sounds like the lead-up to a 3-men-walked-into-a-bar joke, eh? Thought the worst thing that I would be facing was the 10 degree weather. Thought I’d check my zillion emails from work and noticed I had a voice mail. Since I was in the absolute last row of the plane, I decided to listen to it. Shoulda waited.
The message was from my onc-doc telling me that the cancer has reappeared in two areas – any guesses where? Yup, my hip and sacrum (just above the tailbone). Gee, think there is any correlation to the nasty pain I’ve been experiencing in exactly both of those pieces of my anatomy? Unfortunately we played voice mail tag after that so I still have not spoken to him. He indicated that there were no other areas that “lit up” but I’m not sure he was including my lung, since that never was fully clear. But the good news is that there is confirmation that there was no fracture. I’ll take what I can get.
So the average workability lifespan of the wonder drug Tarceva that I have been gobbling is 10 months. It just about hit that on the nose since I was diagnosed last February. And here I thought I was above average. The gall of some people. The body just gets used to the drug and it quits working, as I indicated in a previous post. Then you have to go with plan B.
So what is plan B you ask? Good question. Since I really haven’t spoken to my doc directly yet, all I got were 3 options given to me on my voice mail: 1) Another approved drug…2) Chemo…or 3) A new drug trial if there is one that fits my situation. May need that beret I modeled in a previous post after all. I did think it looked kinda cool.
My onc-doc is also referring me back to the lung cancer specialist at UCSD to see what she might be able to offer.
The toughest part about this is being away from family and friends. I have to admit, believe it or not, I think tonight was the first time I’ve shed a tear (OK, more than one) over this whole journey. I don’t get back until Wednesday night so I have to deal with it for a couple more days. As my high school football coach would say, “Tough it out Blower!” Guess I don’t have a choice, do I?
Eh, just another glitch. Stay tuned.
Business as usual. Day at a time.